Slide background

Domestic Insurance

Contents insurance typically covers damage which occurs due to fire, lightning, explosion or earthquake, theft (or attempted theft), riots or vandalism, storms or flooding, subsidence, falling trees, moving objects (such as a cars hitting your home) and escaping or leaking water or oil.

Contents insurance also usually covers:

  • your legal liability as occupier of the house, eg if a visitor has an accident and injures themselves
  • cost of accommodation and storage if you can’t live in your home because of damage (e.g. fire, flooding etc)
  • some accidental damage to stereo equipment, TVs, computers, DVD players and any glass in furniture (e.g. a glass tabletop)
  • replacement keys and locks, and locksmith’s fees if you lose or damage your keys
  • damage to TV and radio aerials, and satellite dishes
  • loss of food if a freezer breaks down
  • theft of cash from your home
  • contents of your outbuildings (although the amount of cover varies a lot from policy to policy and there may be lower limits for theft).